We had a rare meal out tonight, getting some pre-cinema noms with Simon’s aunt – and it was to Byron that we went, as we were intrigued by their new vegan ‘beetnik’ burger.
This is a beetroot falafel burger, with baby kale, smashed avocado, tomato, pickled red onions, red pepper ketchup, and a lime-drizzled rainbow coleslaw. It sounded pretty tasty – so much so that Auntie Lisa joined us in having one too. And you know what?… it was ok.
If this sounds like faint praise, then I don’t mean to be too down on the burger – the flavours were good, and I always enjoy smashed avocado – but the patty was just so soft, it was impossible to pick up and go bite without crumbled bits of burger falling out the other side of the bun. A knife and fork job, then – but I’d still give it 6 out of 10. What was sadder was that there were no vegan-friendly starters – in fact, our favourite frickles that we normally go for aren’t even marked as vegetarian! Boo and hiss to that. But a burger and a beer was still a pretty good way to start the evening.
Speaking of beer – we’d met Lisa in the pub first (there was a very entertaining Australian scavenger hunt going on, and they collared Si as they needed to have their photo taken with someone with a beard), and I’ve discovered a new favourite snack: pink peppercorn cashews. They have a wonderful, almost fruity edge to the savoury flavour – I could eat them by the bucket-load!
A little too much wine tonight – I blame Jones – but I think Byron would have approved…
Today I ate/drank:
- Tea with almond milk
- Toast with chilli jam and garlic mushrooms (an error – not a good combo!)
- Some bits of artichoke, and a sundried tomato
- Raw mushroom with chilli jam
- Toast with chilli jam and mango chutney
- Pint and a half of Moretti
- Packet of ready salted crisps
- Pink peppercorn cashews
- Byron Beetnik burger, with french fries
- Two glasses of white wine
- Chicken burger
- MacDonalds’ new French burger (garlic mayo… garlic bun… mmmmmm!)
- Frickles with blue cheese dip